Prayer - a conversation with God, who loved us into being
Prayer is something that we learn from those around us, so it is important to model prayer in your everyday!
Often we see prayer used formally but prayer is a conversation you can have anywhere, anytime.
You can also pray in different ways, through art, through imagination, through music and through movement or dance. Your actions can also be prayer: in caring for the environment by gardening or by caring for those around us.
'Prayer is a conversation with God'
As a family can you come up with 5 answers to each of these questions in 5 minutes?
Where can I pray?
When can I pray?
How do I pray?
- in bed
- in the car
- walking to school
- during class
- in the bus
- in the kitchen
- as soon as you wake up
- before you eat
- when you are feeling lonely
- when you are feeling happy
- when you get in the car
- before a tricky situation
- reading scripture
- reciting a traditional prayer
ANY WHERE !
ANY TIME !
ANY HOW !
Different Types of Prayer:
- Blessing – 'bless' means gift from God. We can pray blessings for others or ourselves.
- Adoration – a prayer that acknowledges God our creator and all of God's amazingness!!
- Petition – is a prayer where we ask God for something. It can be for forgiveness, or spiritual or material needs.
- Intercession – is when we pray to God for others.
- Thanksgiving – a prayer of thanks, and a prayer that helps us appreciate all the gifts we have been given.
- Praise – when we tell God just how awesome God is!!